Search This Blog

Sunday 13 May 2012

Happy Mother's day!

Happy mother's day to you new mothers and new mothers to be!
Today is my very first mother's day and to be honest, it doesn't really feel as dramatically earth shatteringly wonderful as I expected it to all these years. We've been so conditioned to believe that its about the gifts and the flowers and the breakfasts in bed that when our babies are too small to do any of those things (and we have the kind of husbands that ask you to make them breakfast and leave you to change nappies and dress babies - I'm very sorry about that by the way *big hug* and *fat smack* to the neanderthal hubbies) then it seems as though mothers day really is just another day to be annoyed at everyone else with flowers and restaurant reservations (maybe thats just me but Valentines day reaaaaaaaaally gets me going!) 

But writing this, while holding my sweet little angel face in my arms today and seeing her smile and coo up at me, I realise that she loves me just as much as she did yesterday and every other day since she was born (which more than anyone in the whole world right now), and that she is so blissfully unaware of this day and its etiquette, makes it all the more precious.

Today mother's day for me is about loving my daughter and being grateful that I have the pleasure of dressing her and changing her nappy at all... and let me take back what i said earlier... it IS completely earth shatteringly wonderful!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment